Serve up this fresh and elegant dish from Cibo Trattoria this summer
Salmon Fillets (preferably wild, line-caught) – pin-boned and trimmed to 5 oz 500 grams sugar 750 grams red wine vinegar 1 pint of B.C. blueberries 1 sprig of thyme 1 shallot, quartered
INGREDIENTS FOR GARNISH
3 tbsp. sunflower seeds ¼ cup cooked white beans, preferably coco or cannellini, drained and rinsed ¼ cup cooked farro verde ¼ cup Sicilian pistachios ¼ cup quinoa, cooked 1 tbsp finely chopped sea asparagus 1 tbsp finely chopped parsley 1 tbsp finely chopped chives 3 tbsp butter ½ cup blueberries, whole and halved (halved simply for aesthetics) ½ cup sea asparagus, trimmed of any dense woody bit
INGREDIENTS FOR CHIVE CREMA
1 cup cream 1 cup milk 1 bunch of chives 2 tsp salt
- Bring the red wine vinegar to a boil in a medium saucepan with the blueberries, thyme and shallot.
- Reduce to a simmer and continue cooking until reduced by about a cup, leaving roughly 500 ml (2 cups) of liquid.
- Strain the solids through a fine mesh sieve. Reserve about 4 tbsp of the liquid for finishing the plate. Set aside.
- With a large saucepan set over medium high heat, caramelize the sugar until a deep amber is achieved.
- Remove from the heat and all at once, add the remaining vinegar infusion, being very careful as it will bubble up and spit.
- Return the pot to a low simmer and gently stirring with a wooden spoon reduce the liquid by a quarter. Set aside.
- Begin by softening the pistachio and sunflower seeds. Separately in small saucepans, add the seeds and nuts and top with 1 inch of water. Bring to a bare simmer.
- Lightly season with salt and continue cooking until the seeds and nuts are softened but not mushy.
- Drain any excess water. Set the seeds aside.
- Remove the brown outer membrane of the pistachio by gently rubbing them between your fingers. Discard the membrane and set the nuts aside.
- In a medium-size saucepan, combine the nuts, seeds, and all remaining ingredients, except the blueberries and the half cup sea asparagus. Add a quarter cup of water and set aside until ready to bring it all together.
- In a medium-size saucepan, combine the nuts, seeds, and all remaining ingredients, except the blueberries and the sea asparagus. Add a quarter cup of water and set aside until ready to bring it all together.
- Prepare the froth by combining the chives, cream and salt in a medium saucepan. Simmer gently until lightly reduced and flavourful. Strain the solids and discard.
- Transfer the liquid to a blender and add the milk.
- Froth the foam in the blender by running it on high speed for a few seconds.
- Fill the base of a large sautée pan with the blueberry-infused vinegar.
- Add the salmon to the pan.
- Gently cook the salmon over low heat until just medium-rare on top and cooked on the bottom.
- While the salmon cooks, warm the garnish over medium heat, reducing all the water until the grains are lightly glazed. Season to taste with salt and a dash of lemon. Fold through the fresh berries.
- Once salmon is cooked, remove from the pan immediately and transfer to a holding tray.
To serve Artfu lly arrange the garnish on the plate, gently transfer the salmon to the plate and then finish with a few dollops of the froth, and a spoonful of the vinegar reduction.
- Serve immediately.