This February, it’s time to treat yourself and help B.C.’s animals
The BC SPCA is introducing Treat Week™, a fundraiser which takes place from Monday, February 25 to Sunday, March 3, 2019. During Treat Week, animal lovers around the province are encouraged to make, bake or buy treats and give them away in exchange for a donation. The BC SPCA will use the much-needed funds to find homes for abandoned, neglected or abused animals, and to provide emergency care to injured animals.
So, what qualifies as a treat? Whatever strikes your fancy! Treats can be anything from cookies and cakes to cocktails and candy. If you’re looking for some inspiration, we asked Kristie Pryor from The Sweet and Simple Kitchen to share this sweet recipe (below) that’s bound to help you raise a lot of dough.
To register for Treat Week or for more information about the event, visit the Treat Week website. And for a really quick explainer about the event, check out this video that’s full of Treat Week inspo...
Edible Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough
Browned Butter Cookie Dough Base Ingredients
- 1 cup browned butter (browned and cooled completely to room temperature)
- 1¼ cup dark brown sugar
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp milk
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp salt
- 1¾ cups all purpose flour
Salted Dark Chocolate Chunk Flavour Option
- ¾ cup dark chocolate chunks
- Sprinkle of flaky sea salt
White Chocolate Macadamia Nut Flavour Option
- ¾ cup white chocolate chips
- ½ cup macadamia nuts, chopped
Brown Butter Instructions
- Place your butter into a medium saucepan over medium heat to melt. Once melted, kick the heat up to medium-high to brown. Your butter will start to hiss and bubble—this is normal. Swirl the butter around in the saucepan every so often to avoid bits on the bottom from burning. Cook until fragrant and light golden brown.
- Immediately remove brown butter from the heat and transfer to a heat-proof bowl and allow to cool completely at room temperature until the butter is firm again.
Cookie Dough Base Instructions
- Preheat your oven to 350F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and measure your flour out onto the parchment. Spread it evenly over the pan and bake in your preheated oven for 5-7 minutes. Set aside and allow it to cool completely to room temperature.
- Once your butter is cooled and firm again, In a large mixing bowl, cream together butter and sugars until pale and fluffy. Add in the milk and vanilla and beat on high until fluffy.
- In a small bowl, whisk together flour, salt and cinnamon. Add dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and beat on low until it starts to come together; increase the speed and beat until completely combined.
Flavour Option Instructions
- Divide dough into two bowls and stir dark chocolate into one and white chocolate and macadamia nuts to the other.
- Store cookie dough in an airtight container the fridge and enjoy as you please for up to two weeks.