Serve up this decadent dish from Gotham as a side for Thanksgiving this year
- 6 cups elbow macaroni, cooked
- 3 tablespoons whole fresh unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups milk
- ½ medium/large Spanish onion, finely diced
- ¼ teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- Salt and ground white pepper to taste
- 3 to 6 ounces of gorgonzola cheese (depending on how strong of a gorgonzola flavour you want)
- Sauté the onions over medium heat in butter just until onions are translucent.
- Add flour to create a roux. Reduce the heat and cook roux for 8 minutes (keep stirring).
- Add milk and cream and return the heat to medium.
- Bring to a boil while stirring.
- Add cheese and Tabasco.
- Season with salt and white pepper.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes (continue to stir).
- Remove from the heat and fold in cooked macaroni. At this point, you can serve and eat or...
- Place in a casserole dish, sprinkle the top with bread crumbs and bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees.