Skip the meat and enjoy the numerous nutritional benefits of lentils on your next taco night
by Michael Smith, Celebrity Chef and Pulse Ambassador
PULSE FILLING ingredients
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) of canola oil
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 6 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 heaping tablespoon (18 ml) of chili powder
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) of ground cumin
- 1 cup (250 ml) of green lentils
- A 19-ounce (540 ml) can of your favourite beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups (500 ml) of water
- 1/2 teaspoon (2 ml) of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon (2 ml) of your favourite hot sauce
- A head of Bibb or iceberg lettuce
- A few handfuls of grated cheddar or taco-blend cheese
- Your favourite salsa
- A large bunch of fresh cilantro
- 2 limes, cut into wedges
- 12 hard taco shells
- Make the lentil bean filling.
- Splash the canola oil into a large skillet or a sauté pan over medium-high heat.
- Toss in the onions, garlic, chili powder, and cumin. Sauté until the vegetables soften and the spice flavours brighten, 3 or 4 minutes.
- Stir in the lentils, beans, water, and salt. Bring the works to a slow, steady simmer.
- Cover tightly and continue slowly cooking until the lentils are tender, 35-45 minutes or so.
- Stir in the hot sauce.
- Assemble the tacos.
- Fit a full leaf of lettuce into a hard taco shell. This will hold the fillings in when the hard shell inevitably breaks.
- Fill each taco with a heaping spoonful of the lentil bean filling.
- Pack with cheese, salsa, and cilantro.
- Serve with the lime wedges and share.
Makes 12 tacos, Serves 4 to 6