This no-waste soup makes great use of lemon peels
Whenever a recipe calls for fresh lemon juice but not lemon zest, I peel the lemon before I juice it. I freeze the peels until I have enough to make this brightly flavoured golden broth. Since the broth is so good on its own, I always pair it with simple ingredients, like the tortellini and fresh veggies here, to highlight its delicate flavour.
Lemon Peel Broth
- 4 celery stalks, including leaves
- 2 garlic bulbs, sliced in half horizontally
- Peels from 4 lemons
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 10 cups water
- Place all the ingredients in a large pot and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for 30 minutes.
- Strain and discard the vegetables, peppercorns, and lemon peels. Season to taste.
- 9 ounces store-bought tortellini
- 4 cups Lemon Peel Broth
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- Pinch of red pepper flakes (optional)
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Prepare the tortellini according to the package instructions, cooking until al dente.
- Drain and set aside.
- Warm the broth in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium-low heat until heated through, about 2 minutes.
- Add the cooked tortellini, spinach, peas, lemon juice, and half the basil. Stir until the spinach is wilted, about 1 minute. Season to taste.
- Portion the soup into bowls and top with a drizzle of olive oil, the remaining basil, several grinds of pepper, and pinches of red pepper flakes, if desired.
Vegan version: Use vegan tortellini.
To store broth: Allow it to cool to room temperature after cooking. Transfer it to airtight containers and refrigerate for up to 1 week or freeze for up to 3 months.
© Excerpted from Love and Lemons: Simple Feel Good Food Copyright © 2023 by Jeanine Donofrio. Published by Avery, an imprint of Penguin Random House LLC. Reproduced by arrangement with the Publisher. All rights reserved.